Thursday, September 4, 2008

Readings week 3

Introduction to Linux:

-It's free, had a lot of users and many documents to support it.
-It runs on virtually all machines.
-It can be tailored to any use or application.
-I had heard about it, but didn't really know what it was.

What is Mac OS X?

-Information on Apple's operating system.
-It uses technologies from many sources to create a uniform effect.
-It's applications are well integrated.
-I found this article to be very technical, jargon was explained but it had more information that I probably would never use.

An Update on the Windows Roadmap - Supersite Blog

-The introduction of Windows Vista versus Windows 7.
-This showcases that Windows has a captive audience who have no choice but to buy the upgrades as they come out.
-There is quite a bit of back and forth discussion between participants with a lot of programming experience.

3 comments:

Rachel Ross said...

Hmm... I don't know if I agree that Windows users are basically forced to purchase upgrades as they come out. Vista has been out for a while, but the only reason I use it now is that it was packaged with my laptop and I had waited long enough to buy it that laptops with XP were hard to find.

Most of my family members still use XP and are fine with it. Since Microsoft still offers support for XP, I don't think that there is current pressure to upgrade, and I don't know that there will be pressure any time soon.

XP is still more stable than Vista, and I wish I was still using it. My old desktop that I gave away is still clunking along with XP and running fine. And even my husband, who works in web programming, hasn't found the need to switch yet, and doesn't plan to until it becomes necessary for some reason.

I think many people stick with their current version for as long as possible-- often until they purchase a new computer and get the new OS packaged with the hardware.

I do agree that the Mac OS X article was very technical, though! A little more than I think I need, too.

Oliver Batchelor said...

I especially liked your comment abut Microsoft clients and the ways that they are left with no choice but to continuously purchase each new upgrade. I am more and more attracted to Linux because it doesn't seem to have the same marketing goals in mind. Overall, I like your assessment of Vista and find that your summaries encompass all necessary info.

Emc2 said...

Maybe it would be better to say that you don't have to purchase the latest version when it becomes available but that in the long run, your current system will be incompatible with the latest update. This can happen for many reasons, one of which the newest chip or CPU won't run with teh old system because is's faster, etc. Thanks for your comments.